RWE and Northland Power have selected Vestas, a Danish wind turbine manufacturer, as the preferred turbine provider for their Nordseecluster wind project in Germany. The four offshore wind farms that make up the 1.6 GW Nordseecluster project are situated in the German North Sea to the north of the island of Juist. Vestas will supply 104 of its V236-15.0MW offshore wind turbines once the project receives a final investment decision. The company will also service Nordseecluster under a multi-year operations and maintenance contract.

The Nordseecluster project will be constructed in two stages, Nordseecluster A and Nordseecluster B. The first two offshore wind facilities for the project are at the permit application stage and will have a combined capacity of 660 MW. Vestas projects that the Nordseecluster A turbine installation could start in 2026, with commercial operations beginning in early 2027. Nordseecluster B will add two more offshore wind installations to the project. They are anticipated to be auctioned this year and will have a total capacity of 900 MW. RWE owns 51 per cent of the Nordseecluster project, with Northland Power holding the remaining 49 per cent stake.

In January 2023, RWE and PPC Renewables collaborated to build more than 200 MW of solar capacity in Greece, speeding the country’s energy transition. RWE and PPC made the final investment decision on five solar photovoltaic (PV) projects through their joint venture company Meton Energy. The five solar PV projects, totaling 210 MWp (175 MWac), would be built in the Western Macedonia region of northern Greece.